Wednesday, November 2, 2011

If I were a Tevye

"If I were rich I'd have the time that I lack to sit in the Synagogue and pray and maybe have a seat by the Eastern Wall;
 And I'd discuss the Holy Books with the learned men seven hours every day; and that would be the sweetest thing of all."

Tevye.  I know he's a fictional character, but in so many ways, I wish I had his piousness.  Here was a man who trusted God implicitly.  He knew God was always there, even if he wasn't always happy about his circumstances.  He always talked to God as if they were friends, the most intimate type of prayer.  He was human, too; he laughed, got angry, felt pain, made mistakes that hurt others, but no one could deny he was dedicated to God, family, and tradition.
Tradition.  The opening song to "Fiddler on the Roof".   So important to Tevye, and so important in any faith.  Stumbling through an education in Orthodox Christianity, I have come to see just how important tradition is in Orthodoxy, but most important, I have learned why, at least in part.
Tradition tells us things that might otherwise get lost along the way.  It tells us that some things are too important to discard in the name of progress.   If it weren't for the traditions of the church, we would certainly have lost the wisdom of the saints.
How often I tell myself to acquire a peaceful spirit so that thousands around me can be saved.  Of course, my failure to do so is more my own obstacle than it is a counter argument; in fact, I think my failure to do so is proof that St Seraphim of Sarov was correct.
St Basil the Great of Caesarea once said to take that which is good, even from pagan authors, and benefit from it.  If I hadn't heard that, I probably would never have found inspiration in an Oscar Wilde saying about saints and sinners.
I also have to admit that I would love nothing more than spending all day talking about God, and as a Christian, Jesus, and the rest of the bible.  How sweet that would be.
So, deep down, I guess I do know that God is always there.  He may not always show up in a way I expect, or even recognize at the time, but he is there.  If I don't talk to him as often as Tevye, that's not His fault.  That's just me forgetting my tradition.
Lachaim!

No comments:

Post a Comment