Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Prayer Lessons.

Our parish is in the midst of some turmoil at the moment.  I won't go into details as to the problems, but I will say that things are bad enough that we are saying nightly akathists for our parish.  It is through this that I am learning more about the power of prayer.
We know we will only get results on God's time.  In fact, we pray for Him to deliver us from our turmoil as He sees fit when He knows best.  What I am learning more about, though, is how powerful prayer is in your community.
Not all of us can make it every night, and I am no exception; with a new job and a schedule that conflicts with the times, there are times when I am coming home from work when the akathist starts.  That said, I go whenever I am not working, and it is amazing that even though I only see a handful of people there, it is always the same people who are there; the choir director, two regular parishioners, the church caretakers, and certain members of the choir are there every time I am.  What has this taught me?  It has taught me to learn to see who is more disciplined in prayer than I am (not counting a priest) and seek them out.  It has taught me that these are the people who most likely remember me in prayer each day, as I do them.  It is teaching me to be more comfortable in prayer, not only with these few people, but in general: it's not that prayer made me uncomfortable, but it did always make me, for lack of a better phrase, self-conscious.  Am I praying correctly?  Am I following "rules"? Am I offending anyone?
Yes, I am praying correctly, every time I invoke the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  There aren't "rules" as much a disciplinary guidelines (giving a  nod to "Captain Barbosa").  Finally, the only people who would be offended by my prayers are those in the dark.
So as I pray that our parish be delivered from it's current turmoil, I am grateful that I was privileged to be a part of it; by being present, by praying both alone and with members of my parish, and for the most enlightening lessons on the power of prayer I have ever received.  I truly am blessed.
God bless all of you.

2 comments:

  1. I am praying for peace in your parish too. May God strengthen you all. I am really inspired by the way you have turned to prayer as a parish when things are the darkest. Anger and hatred would be the death nail. Keep focusing on the Cross of Christ and even in the midst of pain and injustice you will find solace for He most certainly knows what you are going through and will show you the Way.

    ReplyDelete