Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sit Down, Young Stranger

Anyone familiar with the music of Gordon Lightfoot knows that "Sit Down, Young Stranger" is the title to one of his songs; in fact, it is the track immediately preceding, and it was the original title to the album that gave us, "If You Could Read My Mind".  The song describes a young traveler who stands in a doorway "Not knowing where to sit, not knowing where to stand" and embarks on a story that entwines youthful idealism pertaining to the travels of the traveler and the lessons learned from those travels.
Apart from the fact it is on one of his most popular releases, this song has always been one of my favorites of his, for I have always found many spiritual messages in it.  In the lyrics, the "Crown of thorns" are mentioned ( to wear the crown of peace, you must wear the crown of thorns) as well as Jesus (If Jesus had a reason, I'm sure He would not tell/We treated Him so badly, how could He wish us well?).
I have been thinking of this song recently, and I think I know why.  I have been guilty of the sin of anger.  Anger is certainly one of my biggest obstacles to overcome in my life.  If I can only remember the teaching of St Seraphim of Sarov "Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved" then perhaps I wouldn't display my temper so often.  I probably wouldn't even try to justify it by saying "At least I am not physically violent" like it's supposed to make it acceptable.  Well, it is true in both respects; I go out of my way not to strike out at anyone physically in anger, unlike many in my childhood, and honestly, not many people can understand just how stressful that can be.  Many people do not understand that when I am angry, I am fighting two battles; one with who I am angry at, and one with myself.   However, neither battle helps me acquire that peaceful spirit, and truly, if I can not be peaceful to save myself, I certainly am in no position to save others.
So, back to the young stranger for a moment.  Those who question this traveler cynically ask what the stranger will tell them about the world ("And will you try and tell us you've been too long at school/That knowledge is not needed that power does not rule/That war is not the answer, that young men should not die/Sit Down, Young Stranger, I wait for your reply) only to have their scorn rebuked by the lyrics above pertaining to the Crown of Thorns and Jesus' life and crucifixion.
Now my question comes back to myself  "How can those I am angry at still love me?".  I certainly felt provoked in my anger, and perhaps rightfully so, or perhaps not.  Honestly, I am not certain yet.  All I know is that a couple of days ago, someone I lashed out at in anger put their arms around me lovingly and forgave me.  How could they wish me well?
This person knows nothing of St Seraphim of Sarov, but they do know of Jesus.  I have prayed with this person often.  I have laughed with this person just as often.  Now, this person has taught me as much about Jesus and his love for me as St Seraphim of Sarov, any other saint, and any bible lesson ever has.  This person taught by example.
So, now, how do I make myself a better person for the next time this person, or some other person, angers me?  Better yet, is it the person angering me, or is it me that is always angry and just looking for a reason to display it?  "If Jesus has a reason, I'm sure He would not tell."  I hope someone does tell me.
All in all, I think I should be grateful for this experience.  Having hurt feelings is no reason to lash out at someone.  Being intelligent is no reason to perceive others as less so.  Being angry is not justification for angering others.  Love is not just what you do for a person, nor is it what this person does for you.  Love has a short memory for hurts and long, strong arms for the forgiveness of them.
"There's rockets in the meadow, and ships out on the sea/The answer's in the forest, carved upon a tree/ 'John loves Mary'/ Does anyone love me?"  The other day, I found the answer to that last question to be yes, many people, including Jesus and others who I have hurt.
God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment