Saturday, October 22, 2011

Confession

I am feeling very introspective about myself today, so rather than ramble on incoherently, though I do that very well, I am just going to share the lyrics of a song I wrote last winter.  I know it comes from a dark place, for the music I composed to it is darker than any song I have ever written before, or since.
The song is called Confession, and the first line of each verse is taken from the opening of the confession from a Roman Catholic point of view.  After that, it is what it says.
Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.


                                                                      CONFESSION


Bless me, Father, I have sinned
I need to talk to you again
For my soul is weighing heavier
And my strength is wearing thin

Bless me, Father, I have lied
I know this can’t be justified
From this truth I can no longer hide
Bless me, Father, I have lied

Bless me, Father, I have stole
I envied and I lost control
With nothing gained, I nearly lost my soul
Bless me, Father, I have stole

With all my sins laid bare in front of me
And all my ghosts so close behind
Father, have I lost salvation
Or have I lost my mind?


Bless me, Father, pray for me
I have no shred of dignity
As God forgives, there’s Satan tempting me
Bless me, Father, pray for me

1 comment:

  1. Lawrence, I still remember the melody of this sons/prayer you sang for me last fall. It was a haunting melody which shows the depths of sin on the human soul. But, glory to God, He forgives sins, not desiring the death of a sinner but that he should return and live. As you know, not being the parish priest I rarely hear confessions anymore but I had to hear one tonight and again was amazed how wonderful this Holy Mystery is in healing a soul that is hurting because of sin. Thanks for posting this song. Perhapps you could post the one on St John Kochurov.

    ReplyDelete